Tuesday 25 October 2011

Bali Wonderful

Eight days in Bali and every one of them a joy and an adventure. The memories we made will last a lot longer than the tans we started. Gentle people who daily live their lives through their religious beliefs; the offerings to the Gods that we found on pavements, outside shops, on steps, on top of monuments; the haggling so that the right price was paid, guilt appeased and both parties happy. We were in Ubud which is the main cultural centre and inland from the beaches and australian playgrounds and lucky enough to be there at the same time as Ubud's 8th Writer's and Reader's Conference. We went to a book reading/signing one night which as a child of The Age of Aquarius was more than mere serendipity. It was for a book about Rimbaud, written by Jamie James, and about the reconstruction of Rimbaud's time in Java and Bali. Such a plus and we met an interesting Mexican/American to boot.

We visited the Elephant Caves, saw the sun set at Tanah Lot, saw rice paddies, ginger and many spices growing au naturel. I tasted coffee beans which had been eaten by lurwak monkeys and then evacuated - apparently a delicacy. I found a worm, grub, whatever in my Nasi Goreng one night and when I pointed it out to the serene and beautiful waitress she took it back to the kitchen. On her return she serenely told me "Oh it's Ok, it come out of vegetables but it is FRIED". This was meant to reassure me. Hey, if that was the worst that could happen, dare I complain.

Our room was basic but very traditionally balinese with fresh frangipani blossoms put at our door and on our beds at night. We were at the far end Ubud, not at Monkey Forest Road more out towards Jampuhan and had about a twenty minute walk from "home" into the centre of town. One day it poured with warm rain and w gave ourselves over to it completely. We decided that it was in fact not raining. I repeat, NOT RAINING, and we just walked through it, perusing all and everything as we went.


Oh yes, Bali was Bliss and Bali Wonderful and I am sure I will visit again. There is more to say but that involves diaries and notes and today I am plain tuckered out. My beauty flies home today and I won't see her for weeks so I am off to see how she is progressing. She is still with me now here in Oz and about to fly bck to UK tonight. Leaving will be hard for her. But that is another story. Another day.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment